This quiz is about volcanoes, and it is multiple-choice.
Quiz created by: Andria
1. What is the meaning of the word "lahar"?
(#) An extremely destructive mudslide caused by glaciers, ice-caps and snow being melted by pyroclastic flows, lava and/or heat from rising magma.
(#) A type of volcanic ash.
(#) A synonym for "volcanic eruption".
(#) A type of volcanic rock.
2. What is lava called before being ejected from the volcano?
3. What country has the most active volcanoes?
(#) The Philippines.
(#) The United States of America.
4. What is the most dangerous volcano in the United States, and which state is it in?
(#) Lassen Peak (California)
(#) Mount St. Helens (Washington State)
(#) Mount Rainier (Washington State).
(#) Kilauea Volcano (Hawaii)
5. What is a stratovolcano?
(#) A volcanic peak over one mile (5,280 feet) in height.
(#) A volcano located under a body of water.
(#) An active volcano.
(#) A volcanic peak composed of alternating layers of lava rock and ash.
6. Why are stratovolcanoes the most dangerous type of volcanic peak?
(#) Because of the large amount of ejected lava.
(#) Because they collapse during eruption and flood vast areas of land with molten lava.
(#) Because extremely large amounts of ash are ejected.
(#) Because of the inherent instability of their flanks and the large amounts of glaciers and snow present on almost all stratovolcanoes.
7. What is the most dangerous type of calamity caused by a volcanic eruption, and why?
(#) A lava flow, because molten rock destroys everything that it touches.
(#) Ashfall, because of damage to crops and adverse affects on the health of people, wildlife and domestic animals.
(#) A pyroclastic flow, because the superheated gasses and rock fragments will vaporize or ignite anything they come in contact with.
(#) A volcanic mudslide, because entire cities can be buried by fast-moving mud that has the consistency of wet concrete and hardens to a rock-like state.
8. Why is the situation of the LaBrea Tar Pits turning into a volcanic peak and destroying Los Angeles impossible?
(#) Because of Hollywood special effects.
(#) Because magma cannot pass through fault lines, only through subduction zones and known volcanic peaks and seamounts.
9. What is a seamount?
(#) The same thing as an island, but with nothing above the surface of the water.
(#) A fish.
(#) An undersea steam vent.
(#) An undersea volcanic peak.
Click here to take this quiz and post a reply with your score.